Taylor Otwell - History & Philosophy of Laravel
March 14 2013, 1:45am
- 2:48 - The Vision: aka Otwell's inspiration. I didn't realize that Otwell used to be a big CodeIgniter fan. This is probably why I was naturally attracted to Laravel when I first discovered it. It fills a lot of the gaps the CI community wanted filled.
- 4:12 - Why create a new framework? Why not fork?
- 8:05 - Documentation is king. Since CI was known for its' simple/clear docs, Otwell realizes how important good docs are to attracting new developers.
- 9:15 - Important features of Laravel: Routing, Eliquent, Blade templating, and Auth.
- 11:35 - How Laravel is leveraging the Symfony community.
- 13:05 - Embracing Composer for dependencies.
- 14:25 - New features in Laravel 4: Mail, password reminders, job queue.
- 17:26 - Did he consider Zend? Not really, he mentions he was fairly new to the PHP landscape at the time and hadn't really tried it.
- 19:30 - Building a community.
- 33:50 - The name Laravel comes from rhyming with castle Cair Paravel in Narnia.
Want to learn more about Laravel? Check out the Laravel 4 Video Tutorials.